Monday, March 10, 2008

Picnic with my English Students - Under the "Sakura"



I teach English for an hour every other Thursday to 3 wonderful Japanese women from Yokohama. They usually take the train down (a 25 minute commute) and meet me at a French bakery near our base but since the cherry blossoms are in full bloom we decided to follow the Japanese tradition of having a picnic under these beautiful pink trees "Sakura". They were very excited about their "field trip" on base and when asked what they wanted to see or do they said they wanted to eat "Taco Bell". So we got lunch there and walked across the street to Kasano Park to have our little picnic/lesson. It was such a perfect sunny day and the park is right next to the ocean. Andrea, from my Prenatal yoga class (which I teach right before my English class) wanted to join us so she made these adorable Cherry Blossom cupcakes for the picnic. She's also in the picture with my Japanese students. We have so much fun just talking and learning from each other's cultures. It's the reason I wanted to teach English in the first place. A lot of military spouses teach English in Japan because it pays well. But just 1 class is enough for me along with teaching my yoga classes I don't want to get too busy. I just want to enjoy our time here in Japan and learn as much as I can! Each day that goes by I find myself loving the Japanese people and their way of life more and more!

No comments: